CAREERS AT KAHTOOLA
Brand Development & Strategic Marketing Associate
January 2020 – Kahtoola, Inc
Kahtoola is an outdoor equipment design and manufacturing company with a history of product innovation and excellence. Headquartered in the beautiful mountain town of Flagstaff, AZ, all our associates are based here and work closely as a team to best address the opportunities and challenges of growing our business.
Founded in 1999, Kahtoola is a market leader in winter traction gear and is positioned for strong growth in other outdoor product categories. In addition to making high-quality products, we actively support social & environmental responsibility, foster strong community relationships and inspire outdoor adventure. As associates, we are a company of quality aficionados who love great gear and getting outside. We work hard to take on business challenges together while enjoying a supportive, fun, and casual work environment.
The Brand Development & Strategic Marketing Associate will be responsible for Kahtoola’s strategic marketing plan development and implementation as well as developing strong overall brand positioning and related communication strategies. While fostering open communication and collaboration with all Associates involved in Marketing, Design, and Sales, this Associate will take the lead role in focussing company efforts on effective strategies that are brand-aligned in order to grow brand awareness and foster long-term business success.
In this role you will be:
- Leading and collaborating to create an overarching, brand-aligned marketing strategy that flows into seasonal campaigns, product launches, and company communications.
- Developing powerful brand messages by establishing constructive collaboration among Kahtoola’s founder/owner and all Associates; coordinating our existing brand themes in order to refine the messages we wish to communicate to the world.
- Collaborating with Design and Sales teams to think holistically and progressively around strategy, execution, and demand creation.
- Guiding and coordinating the efforts and tactics of the Marketing team in implementing a successful marketing strategy.
- Ensuring consistency of Kahtoola’s marketing strategy and brand messages internally and externally.
- Managing outside agencies & vendors, as well as Kahtoola’s social and environmental non-profit partners to ensure the brand’s voice and all aspects of the brand align clearly with defined brand guidelines.
The ideal candidate must have:
- A strategic approach with substantial experience in brand development and a strong background in creative content and storytelling
- Ability to assess market changes and understand competitive positioning in the outdoor industry
- Excellent project management skills within a team setting, effectively prioritizing workflow to meet company goals
- Experience incorporating internal and external stakeholders at crucial points during project and goal planning and execution
- Ability to receive and give constructive feedback that is productive and useful
- Ability to communicate cross-functionally to maintain transparency, promote a cohesive team atmosphere, and drive execution
- Ability to develop strong and collaborative relationships both internally and externally
- A positive attitude when dealing with tight deadlines, team dynamics, core job duties, and stressful situations to help maintain a positive and productive work environment
- Develop Kahtoola’s overall brand-aligned marketing strategy and communicate it internally
- Effectively convey the Kahtoola brand to external partners
- Lead a small marketing team to fulfill the overall marketing strategy execution
- Synchronize and coordinate Kahtoola’s brand/marketing strategy throughout our international markets
- Create brand guidelines and style guide and communicate them to internal and external stakeholders to ensure consistent messages and presentation across all platforms, marketing campaigns and communications
- Develop seasonal campaigns and product launches in collaboration with other Associates
- Oversee the fulfillment of needs for creative and content marketing in digital / video / print / web / CRM / collateral / signage and various other mediums
- Along with the marketing team, nurture established outside creative agency relationships as well as further develop Kahtoola’s resource network of content / creative vendors and contractors to complement internal resources
- Collaborate with internal team for planning and marketing activation at tradeshow and events
- Manage the Marketing budget
- Track performance metrics to analyze the effectiveness of marketing activities and review with other key Associates
- Minimum of five years (10 years preferred) of marketing/content/creative work experience
- Brand-oriented marketing experience is a must, past experience working for an outdoor brand that sells through retail environment preferred
- Ability to articulate a strategic vision and orchestrate tactical execution among multiple groups
- Bachelor’s degree (advanced degree preferred)
- Accomplished English writing and storytelling skills
- Excellent eye for creative design
- Ability to travel for trade shows and other work-related activities as needed
- Company healthcare plan
- Paid time off (vacation & sick)
- Ten paid holidays
- Eligible for Kahtoola FMLA plan after two years
- Simple IRA plan with company match
- Annual profit sharing
- Kahtoola supports and encourages a healthy work-life balance
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.